Chat Summary 246: Reaching for Impact
January 12, 2016
On January 6th Christine Chambers (@drcchambers) & Holly Witteman (@hwitteman) led the #hcsmca community in a discussion about the opportunities and challenges of evaluating whether social media campaigns actually improve health. They asked:
- T1. What do measures of reach tell us when we are evaluating social media campaigns in health?
- T2. What other methods can we use to establish impact of social media campaigns on health?
- T3. Can social media campaigns be evaluated using traditional research designs (e.g., RCTs)? Do they need to be?
- T4. Are pre-post designs sufficient for demonstrating the impact of social media campaigns? Can we do better?
- T5. Is it possible to recruit a control group to compare to followers of social media campaigns?
- T6. How could we push the boundaries on evaluating the reach and impact of social media campaigns in health?