Want to host a tweet chat? Build community first
By Lori O’Hara-Hoke (@lohoke )
A teen volunteer, Kealey, asked me to help her organize a tweet chat for a childhood cancer charity. She was helping them with their social media efforts. While she thought a tweet chat would be an interesting idea, she recognized that not many of their members were on Twitter. This brought me to ask the #hcsmca community on October 16.
What are best practices to help a grassroots org have an online discussion and tools to use? How do you create an online community? What tools are best?
Many thoughts and resources were shared during the #hcsmca chat. You can read the transcript here .
But I decided to do some additional sleuthing and would like to share a list of resources and tools I found to be useful. Please note that this is not meant to be an exhaustive list. Do your research or consult with your favourite social media advisor to find the right tools for the needs of your organization. Content and features of the tools will all change over time.
Colleen Young, an avid follower of Rich Millington, also offers online community advice on this blog, some of which is specific to online communities in health. For example
- Building a Successful Online Community: My Talk at Third Tuesday
- How do you manage misbehavior in online health communities ?
- Building community: Interview with Quinte Pediatrics
- When an online community member dies
How to Organize a Tweet Chat
A tweetchat is an online gathering or meeting using Twitter and associated tools. Here are a few resources, including 2 from #hcsmca members @AndrewSpong and @Colleen_Young.
- How to host a tweet chat on Twitter by Andrew Spong (tip: comments are as rich as the original post)
- Twitter Chats Build Community by Colleen Young
- The Ultimate Guide To Hosting A Tweet Chat by Steve Cooper (forbes.com)
- Moderating a Twitter Chat by Alice Keeler
There are many tools available to monitor tweet chats and other social media conversations. Here are a few.
To help wade through the Twitter chat management tools, I pulled together these articles and reviews.
- Comparing the Best Twitter Chat Tools on the Market by Jenna Dobkin
- Is Twubs the Next Big Twitter Chat Management Tool? by Adam Popescu
- A Look at Twitter Chat Management Tools by Katie Ingram
- 9 Hashtag & Twitter Chat Tools by Ashley Faulkes
- Twitter Chat and Hashtag Tools by Kevin Mullet
- Ten Tools to Start a Twitter Chat by Brad Currie
Hcsmca’s favorite tool for indexing health-care related tweet chats, generating chat transcripts and analytics is Symplur.
How to organize a tweetup
A tweetup, sometimes called a meetup, is an in-person gathering of like-minded Twitter friends. A tweetup can deepen a sense of community for an existing community or participants to a meetup can help establish an online community.
- How to Host at Tweetup by Jeff Cutler
- Creating a Community – #NASATweetups by Stephanie L. Shierholz
What are your favorite resources and tools to manage your Twitter community and chats?