#hcsmca by numbers: A 6-month report card
I hope you are as impressed as I am with this beautiful infographic by guest blogger Christine Crowley. Thank you Christine for collecting this data and telling the #hcsmca story by numbers.
By Christine Crowley (@pharmaengage)
March 31st marked the 6-month anniversary of #hcsmca. In the first 184 days, more than 15,000 tweets were shared by 1005 unique Twitter accounts. These and other data are summarized in an infographic below.
For anyone who has attempted to collect and analyse data from Twitter, you will know this step is no small feat. However, thanks to two of my favourite Twitter based projects, the HealthCare Hashtag Project by the Fox ePractice, and the WhatTheHashtag? (just recently discontinued) by whatthetrend.com, as many as 14,699 unique #hcsmca-containing tweets were collected and imported into Excel for analysis, and the results graphed using Google docs. [Please note that I could not collect all 15,000 tweets from any one service and so I had to use both services to get the most complete data set possible, and even then, I was still short by 300 tweets, most likely due to limits on the API by Twitter.]
So what can we say about these data?
- #hcsmca participants prefer to share during and surrounding weekly tweetchats (as many as 25 at the time of this analysis), demonstrating a high level of engagement during and value for these tweetchats by the participants.
- As can be seen by the data, the #hcsmca hashtag was used more on Wednesdays than any other day of the week, and peak just before 10 am until just after 11 am PST – the day and time of most tweetchats.
- An increase was also seen in the evening, most likely representing the monthly Thursday night tweetchats.
- #hcsmca conversations are growing over time, which speaks to the great traction that this community has received and the community’s ability to continuously draw more participants. A trendline in the graph of #hcsmca tweets over time showed an increase in the number #hcsmca tweets in 2011, a period that also saw a marked increase in the number of @hcsmca followers.
- Community management is the ‘secret sauce’ behind the success of #hcsmca. It should come to no surprise that most #hcsmca tweets have been generated by @Colleen_Young, founder of #hcsmca. Armed with her personal and the @hcsmca Twitter accounts, Colleen nurtures, champions, and advocates for the #hcsmca community like none other. A recent tweet by @colin_hung says it all:
An #FF for @Colleen_Young a tireless #hcsmca champ. A warm online personality (even warmer in person). Looking fw to May 3rd tweetup!
Beyond an analysis of the data, the infographic underlines other qualitative aspects of our community:
- #hcsmca membership is diverse: while a detailed analysis of the #hcsmca community members and @hcsmca followers is in progress, the top 10 #hcsmca users are communications and knowledge translation specialists, members of health care organizations, health IT advocates, and researchers/librarians
- #hcsmca has hosted a variety of topics, with the first National meetup happening February past
- #hcsmca tweetchats have been guest moderated 6 times: thanks @rjdfraser, @paulgallant, @kathykastner, @cmaer, @craigtyyz
- #hcsmca has been referenced 10 times in blogposts, presentations – including a feature in The Globe and Mail
Please note. This summary represents information as up to March 31st only. So much already has happened in April –> to be included in the next update :-) I encourage and welcome your feedback, data analysis suggestions, or any other comments, or feel free to send me a tweet.